Wednesday, April 11, 2012

just something I am lousy at..No biggie

Today I had the honor of attending the funeral of a Lady I have know for many years....i kinda think of her as my proxy gramma. See, I have a best friend from childhood, and this woman was actually her Gramma, but she adopted me in as well. She was a no-nonsense kinda lady, and was a far cry from your traditional Gramma.....but that's another story....

As I was sitting at this funeral service I got to thinking......I suck at funerals, mostly due to the fact that my feelings are left in a jar beside my bed.....and I can't seem to get the sympathy thing down....I am quite awful at it...in fact most people know me for the phrase "rub some dirt in it" or "suck it up and pull up your big girl pants" Yeah, so...funerals, with the crying and the sympathy...I am lousy at them!

I also thought...why do we even have funerals? I mean really? I get the fact that the still living have to mourn...i TOTALLY understand that...but...i am not sure why we have funerals? They cost a boat load of money,and i think there could be other ways we could have "closure"
What about a celebration? I mean why cry about the death? Why not celebrate their life, and if your belief follows...celebrate that they are home! Sure we could cry about the memories, but to have to sit through the music, and the sermons (which are ALL different) it seems unneeded?

I am not claiming to know that THIS would be the best thing for anyone, but I am just sayin...

I would have to admit that to me, it seems that if a family is already grieving the loss of a loved one, why would we want to put even more financial burden on them by hosting a funeral and luncheon? Do you have any idea how much a funeral costs? Like really? Its a ton! And seriously on this note...WHY ON EARTH WOULD I NEED A VAULT for my DEAD body? It just doesn't seem logical.... grieving people aren't of sound mind to make financial decisions....

Now I can understand (to a point) that the sermon is a Pastor's way of giving the grieving family some hope during their difficult time...but a funeral to do that? I just don't get it... I can also see that perhaps the Pastor is trying to deliver a message of salvation to those sitting in the chairs that haven't heard it...I can see that, but really a funeral? Can't we think of any other way to do it?
Besides, (this is where I get a little "freakish") doesn't scripture say that Jesus told one man to "let the dead bury their dead" I mean i don't recall the big J.C. speaking at ANYONE'S funeral. He took his sermons on the road.....just sayin

I just don't get it, maybe i am weird like that....yeah, I probably am, and hey it's ok with me. If you want someone to straight shoot ya, I am THAT gal, if you need a shoulder to cry on, I could handle that, but if you're looking form someone to give you sympathy...I am going to have to pass.....but I will be upfront about it at least, and now days, That says something......
That's all for now, until next time...............

No comments:

Post a Comment